MENU

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

12 Weeks: My uterus? Yeah, it's a softball now

Baby:
  • Is about two-and-a-half inches long. So still in the lemon/lime range. Comparison reruns!
  • Already has pretty much every structure, organ and system needed for life by this point. Everything will continue to develop and mature, but baby really is a perfect little miniature human being.
  • Reproductive organs are distinctly male or female.
  • Can officially be Bugged By Me. Reflexes have developed, so if I push on my uterus, baby will squirm and move in response. I can’t feel it, but it sure is fun to imagine getting flipped off by my fetus.
Me:
  • I keep thinking I’m feeling better and then I’m not. And then I am again! And then I smell whatever it is that you’re eating over there and BLEH.
  • Have a big-ass uterus now — too big to remain all low in my pelvis. It’ll sort of grow and migrate upwards during the second trimester. Pros: I won’t have to pee so much. Cons: baby will be able to land many, many karate chops on the internal organs.

Even though your little Einstein’s body is still growing quite rapidly 2 inches long right now, the overall super-speedy growth of their amazing brain continues to leave the head proportionately larger than the body— and is actually slightly more than one third of their total body mass! The head and neck are still straightening at this point as can be seen by their little chin lifting off of the chest. Your baby is also actively rehearsing “breathing” by using amniotic fluid to prepare the lungs for future air respiration.

The big news: your little pooper is now officially going to need diapers! Although a majority of the waste produced is transferred to the mother’s system for discharge (to avoid having it linger in the amniotic sac), some urine is released to the amniotic fluid and your baby will actually breathe it in before it passing it on to your for discharge. Not to worry, urine--in this particular form, is completely harmless to your baby.

Baby Bump: Week 12


12 Weeks

2 comments:

Nadine said...

so cute =)

Melody said...

This is exciting!
I actually really like how you're keeping updates on your pregnancy :) I definitely want to do this when I have my first child <3